K.I.D.- Kindness In Diapers is One Heart Ministries diaper donation program.
- A healthy change of diapers costs approximately $100.00 a month for children.
- Safety net programs such as Food Stamps, WIC and Medicaid do NOT cover diapers.
- Work First programs require that you work or go to school in order to qualify for childcare resources, however if you do not have diapers, your child cannot attend the childcare provided by childcare resources, hence contributing to the vicious cycle of the parent in need not being able to work or go to school.
- Cloth diapers are not an option. Child care programs require disposable diapers for sanitary reasons. Even Laundromats won’t allow you to wash cloth diapers in their machines.
- Diaper manufacturers do not donate diapers unless you have quadruplets or more
- A normal infant uses approximately to 8-10 diapers/day; a toddler uses approximately up to 6 diapers/day. In low-income households, a child may be in a single diaper all day or longer, increasing risk of health problems from skin diseases to hepatitis.
- A baby crying non-stop from being in a soiled diaper for a prolonged period of time is more likely to be abused.
- A baby that grows up wearing soiled diapers over a long period of time is more likely to be sexually abused and not complain as they have become accustomed to genital discomfort.
- Babies wearing soiled diapers for prolonged periods have a higher instance for infection(yeast infection, bacterial infections ect)
Disposable diapers are a basic necessity, not a luxury. The development of One Heart Ministries outreach Diaper Bank engages everyone in the community to ensure that our most vulnerable citizens receive a healthy daily change of diapers.
Bucks for Babies:
Bucks for Babies is a donation program where we ask you to set aside just $40.00 a month, ($10.00 a week) which will contribute to purchase a month’s worth of diapers for one baby. We hope to raise money for much needed diapers for the kids in our program, the majority of whom live below the poverty line and cannot afford just the basic necessities like diapers. Your donation will impact their lives now and for the future. Please go to our donation page and donate the amount of your choice. Your donation is tax deductible.
H.A.D.- Happy And Dry is a One Heart Ministries’ Bib Donation Program and workd in conjunction with the K.I.D. program.
BibsPlus has donated bibs to One Heart Ministries in an effort to keep babies dry from top to bottom. Without good bibs, babies are prone to neck rashes and infections, from things such as normal developmental teething drool to infant reflux. Please go to our loves page to read more about BibsPlus and what they are doing for One Heart Ministries and the community.
Currently One Heart Ministries is accepting bib donations of new bibs in an effort to keep babies dry from top to bottom!!
P.I.C.- Protection In Cars is One Heart Ministries car seat donation and car safety program.
We accept new car seat donations to donate to our clients in need, and we also accept gently used car seats for the purposes of parenting class demonstrations and demonstrations of inserting car seats into vehicles.
The P.I.C. program includes but is not limited to:
- Child Passenger Safety: One Heart Ministries donates and addresses car seats and booster seats. Motor vehicle crashes are the number one cause of death among children ages 1 to 19. We teach families how to use and car seats so children are safe for every ride. This begins the process of ensuring passenger safety right into adulthood.
- Heatstroke Awareness and Prevention: Heatstroke is the leading cause of non-crash, vehicle-related deaths for children under the age of 14. To help prevent tragic and unnecessary deaths due to heatstroke, One Heart Ministries and Hart University staff educates the parents and their families of the seriousness of leaving children unattended in cars.
K.I.C.- Kids In Cribs is One Heart Ministries pack n play donation program, hoping to help babies sleep safer.
The goal of the K.I.C. program is to reduce the risk of SIDS and sleep injury by providing safe sleep education and a safe sleep environment for families with the greatest need in the Charlotte, NC area.
Please keep eligibility requirements in mind. Clients must be within 2 weeks of their due date or have an infant that is younger than six months in order to be eligible for the program. In addition, clients are eligible if:
- They receive some type of public benefit (WIC, Food Stamps, NC Medicaid, Work First)
- No one in the home is working or if working must be in Work First
- They do not already have or have access to a safe age appropriate carseat
- They do not already have or have access to a safe crib or pack ‘n play
- They are in permanent housing in Mecklenburg County
- They are willing to participate in One Heart Ministries and Hart University Programs
Most clients will be required to attend program workshops in order to receive their pack-n-play, diapers and/or car seat and will need to provide photo ID and proof of public benefits.
We are not an emergency service. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to receive the crib or car seat immediately after we receive your request. Because we have a waiting list, and lead only 1-2 workshops per month, it can take several weeks for a client to receive their pack-n-play and/or car seat.
*****PLEASE NOTE, WHEN YOU MAKE A FINANCIAL DONATION, YOU ARE WELCOMED TO SPECIFY WHICH PROGRAM YOU WOULD LIKE YOU DONATION TO GO TOWARDS, OTHERWISE, ONE HEART MINISTRIES WILL CHOOSE THE PROGRAM IN THE GREATEST NEED. BECAUSE WE ARE A DIAPER BANK, MOST DONATIONS GO TOWARDS THE PURCHASE OF DISPOSABLE DIAPERS AND TOWARDS THE EDUCATION OF THE PARENTS IN THE PROGRAM FIRST*****